Toyota filed patents in 2022 for an electric vehicle with a manual transmission, and recent news articles suggest that Toyota has developed electric vehicles (EVs) that emit fake gear shifting and engine noises.
Acoustics 2023 in Sydney will be an enormous joint conference between:
- The Acoustical Society of America
- Australian Acoustical Society
The conference will be held in Sydney Australia from Monday 4 December to Friday 8 December 2023 at the International Convention Centre Sydney (ICC Sydney), Australia.
Abstract submissions are now open and close 24 July 2023.
The Acoustics 2021 conference, originally planned for November 2021 in Woollongong, New South Wales, Australia has been postponed until 21-23 February 2022.
New South Wales currently (2021-08-28) has an outbreak of COVID-19, currently 13,880 active cases, so holding a face-to-face conference presents a risk to potential attendees.
The Internoise 2021 conference, 50th International Congress and Exposition on Noise Control Engineering, will be held in the virtual (online) mode only. The conference goes from 1 – 5 August 2021. The Congress schedule is in the New York (or Washington DC, US eastern) time zone. Use https://www.timeanddate.com/ to convert to local times. The congress program is from 6:00am to 9:00pm, with featured lectures and events from 9:00am to 11:00am.
The book of abstracts has been published.
Read the story on Jalopnik of a tire breaking the sound barrier then exploding.
Microsoft has updated the Project Acoustics software package for Unity and Unreal gaming software platforms.
The Project Acoustics release 2.0 for the Unreal and Unity engines include:
- Dynamic openings – handle changes in geometry at runtime
- Acoustics probe volumes
- Material override – set acoustic material for all meshes within a volume
- Material remap – swap material names for all meshes within a volume
- Probe spacing – change probe spacing within a volume
- Acoustics runtime volumes – update design parameters within a volume
- Pinned probes – place your own probes
- Faster bake times – Acoustic simulations are twice as fast as before
- Various bug fixes and performance improvements
For more info on the new release, read more on the Microsoft tech community blog post.
A company called Syng, have released a new loudspeaker called the Cell Alpha Triphonic Speaker. Company co-founder, Christopher Stringer worked for Apple during 21 years and left in 2017 to create Syng. He was involved directly in developments for the iPhone and iPad, Apple Watch, and the HomePod. Stringer is referenced on more than 1,400 US patents. The first Triphonic sound system was actually patented in 1984 by Emil L. Torick (inventor) on behalf of CBS Broadcasting.
The global situation with COVID continues and has caused many conferences to change to a virtual conference, and dates have been rescheduled. The Events Calendar on Noiseboard has been updated with conference dates.
The shutdown of international travel due to COVID-19 has meant that most international conferences have been cancelled, delayed, or they have transitioned to e-conferences. Here is a list of upcoming conferences related to acoustics and vibrations:
- Internoise 2020 : 23 – 26 August 2020, virtual conference.
- Audio Engineering Society aeseurope.com : virtual conference 2 – 5 June 2020.
- Acoustics 2020 New Zealand – delayed until 31 Oct – 2 Nov 2022 Acoustics 2022.
- ICSV27 – delayed until July 2021.
- Acoustical Society of America May meeting Illinois, rescheduled for 8 – 12 December 2020.
- Noisecon 2020 – New Orleans, rescheduled to 16 – 18 November 2020.
- COMADEM 2020 Lulea Sweden, rescheduled to 25 – 27 May 2021.
- ISMA 2020 , USD2020 : 7 – 9 September 2020, virtual conference (updated 2020-05-21).
- ICUA 2020 International Conference on Underwater Acoustics Southampton UK,
6 -12 July 2020, postponed.
- Quiet Drones 2020, virtual conference, 19 – 21 October 2020.
- Forum Acusticum 2020 , Lyon, France, postponed to 7 – 11 December 2020.